Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Travelogue Part 1



Heloooooo

Wow, what a crazy few weeks.

I bought a new camera after my trip to London, so I only have pics from Joshua Tree to accompany the posts.

Allow me to backtrack

London was perfect.

Saw Ionesco’s Rhinoceros, which I had read and not understood as a kid in French class but is actually a wonderfully surreal play about resisting conformity. It had me on the edge of my seat, the set was so bare and sparse so when a life sized rhino busted through a wall I totally jumped out of my skin. I’m a little too ready to suspend my disbelief, but it makes theatre and movie going extra fun.

Saw the Terracotta Warriors at the British Museum. I’ve never seen them in person before and they are utterly stunning. I’m amazed that they are free standing and I think it’s utterly insano that anyone would want to transport them -I’d be terrified something would break. Unlike the various tombs of the Pharaohs, no one is willing to open the tomb of
Emperor Qinshihuang. Which I think is cool and spooky.

Went to the Victoria and Albert and saw both the Lee Miller exhibition and the Golden Age of Couture Exhibition. Lee Miller was a gorgeous woman with a subtle and wonderful talent for photo. She ranged from full on fashion to searing documentation of World War 2, to ruthlessly tongue in cheek portraits of herself bathing in Hitler’s bath and generally hanging loose in his private apartments.

The couture exhibition was lush, lots of House of Worth, Balenciaga and Givenchy, plenty of the New Look from Dior, with the nipped waists and plentiful, post war-ration skirts. People seriously don’t dress like that anymore -beautifully structured under garments made specifically to enhance the particular dress or suit, precise cutting and beading or pleating and tailoring. The figure of a woman was treated very differently back then. It’s a shame, few physiques are capable of wearing today’s standards well, once upon a time all of women’s shapes were considered, flattered and enhanced. Ah well, this is why I wear vintage.




Took my bro and Baba on a helicopter ride over London for their birthdays. It was hilarious and wonderful. I amazingly managed to keep it a secret -just told them to show up at Victoria station with their passports and sunglasses (security required passport identification, but it was a good red herring, they couldn’t figure out where I was taking them). The weather was glorious and clear and we saw everything from the singed Cutty Sark to Parliament to our house.


Had lots of quality time with the fam. Ate wonderful Arabic, Indian, French, Chinese and Italian. Drank it up at my old haunt Trader Vics with La Carolina, saw my London pals, ran a lot and still managed to sleep a good amount.

They overbooked my flight back to NY so they paid me $400 to take a later flight. Yey!

S’all fo now.

Mils




No comments: