Thursday, July 26, 2007

Some Brave Apollo



Weird connections:
I'm putting up this post and singing along with the David Bowie song that's popped up on the Itunes. Kate looks over my shoulder sees the Russian boys and says, "hey, let's call this Some Brave Apollo" -the lyrics to the Bowie song. I google the song, only to realise it's called Big Brother, and guess what I'm reading right now, yup, 1984.

Strange. I love it when that happens.

So these are our Russian Boys. Kate and I have been trawling Brighton Beach and Coney for a particular breed of boy. You know him when you see him. It was SO difficult. Kate and I are so bad at approaching people, it was making us very nervous and then cranky. By the 3rd day we were better at it. But I still get a pang of nerves thinking about going back out there.

It felt like being a horny dorky teenage boy on the hunt. We'd just walk around the same few beaches in ever decreasing circles. Kate'd say. " 3 o'clock". And I'd look but not see anything and then she'd be like, "No no, the other way", and then the next thing you know we're the furtive creepy creeps with the camera on the beach hovering around a group of young boys.

Getting a wicked tan though.

-Mils

1 comment:

tate said...

i always see so many subjects that would be so fantastic but i live in the country (well, compared to nyc) here in louisiana... so i feel like if i approach them to photograph - they'd just assume i'm out to get their nudies online, or whatnot. the double whammy is that i'm deaf, so people are already thinking "he's deaf..." when i'm saying, "let me photograph you... please.."

ugh. i need to be brave. i know i have it in me.

la la la - love the apollo set.