Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Designification

One of my Aesthetic Idols is Terence Conran. He introduced me to the world of Industrial Design years ago when he revamped the Michelin Building in a then sleepy part of London, bringing a gorgeous oyster bar and amazing furniture, kitchen and lifestyle design. I would go to the shop every weekend and marvel at the sofas and blankets and ladles and all the parts of utilitarian life that he had designed and made that much more beautiful and no less useful.

Later I became obsessed with Muji, a shop, like Conran's, that was interested in giving everyday functionality a good dose of sublime, simple beauty. I fantasise of a place where every object is considered with such sensitivity AND is made affordable AND sustainable.

Hairdryers, humidifiers, airconditioners, these are the objects I want to see "reinvented" and put through the good design mill.
I never would of thought of redesigning a gym environment. But this is just wonderful and playful:



-Mils

No comments: