Wednesday, May 2, 2007

I'm strong, but not THAT strong



The title of this post is a nod to Kate -our communication has become so nuanced, so on-point, that we can anticipate when the other's on the verge of an emotional nose dive. I was warning her this morning, that I could carry her through, but not all the way. Ah, it takes years, years to learn how to argue the way we do! Hehe.

Had dinner with two extremely well-coiffed, sparkly, handsome men last night: Mr. Ryan Pfluger and Mr. Clayton James Cubitt aka Siege.

The Roebling Tea Room was our selection for the evening's round table discussion into photo nerdom.

We talked about the relevance or irrelevance of Flickr in the contemporary photo world. None of us use Flickr, or had even really heard of it until recently. I guess it has become something of a cult community, and though I've always thought of photography as a democratic medium (something I cherish and champion about photo), I am also an elitist (yes, I said that). Even among Flickr's open, egalitarian community, there are those who rise to the top, potentially a meritocratic ascension, but then what? As Siege cleverly put it in reference to the multitudinous web hits some photographers get on Flickr, "I'd rather have $25,000 in my bank account than 2.5 million pennies scattered around the world" -and I agree, wholeheartedly.



More on this later, I have to strongarm Kate into contributing.

In the mean time, I hope you take a moment to meditate on these Utahscapes, they make me happy.

XO

Camilla




3 comments:

Unknown said...

That snow mountain photograph is splendid. i would love 2 prints. one wallet size and one to hang on a wall

Unknown said...

is it really that hard to imagine how being huge on Flickr could turn into monetary return? having a built-in fanbase and that much exposure could easily translate into being contracted, selling prints, or having more than just your Mom and Dad at your art show.

fyi, i'm all about "elitism," but since when is photographing for nerve.com elite? check yourself.

Camilla said...

Well, if I had said Nerve was the elite, you'd have a point. But I didn't.
Check YOURself.

Thanks Con, I'll see what I can do!