Sunday, June 3, 2007

Take 5. No, take 10. Hell, take 2880.




Things rarely seem calm. That’s a good thing and a bad thing. The weekdays have been chock-a-block with all the stuff that make up the hamster-spinner of my life. I’ve been trying to keep the weekends to myself but even that has been difficult. This weekend I said no to it all.

But let me backtrack.

Friday felt like a remarkable day, the shoot was stupendous. Levi was enigmatic and torrential and spectacular. We took fantastic pictures. Of course the stupid video camera had to poop out just at the moment he took off all his clothes and begun dancing with the helium balloons (these have suddenly become our new favourite prop). Having Denise, a real, live, talented, art director on set, pushed us in ways we’d never before experienced and working with our old photo editor from Nerve, Rachel, felt like we were all embarking on a meaningful and familial, new creative path.

I know I'm melodramatic but I get so inspired and moved by those sorts of days. Ideas were bristling back and forth, people were giggling because we’re doing crazy shit, but it’s smooth and tight, and real work is getting done and everyone feels stimulated and satisfied. After the insanity of the studio session we took cars to shoot Levi and the model, Andrea, in the Hasidic section of Williamsburg. Soon after we started shooting we were asked to leave, which seemed to excite Levi, but turned me off. So we hustled a few more shots then called it a day and moseyed over to Diner for dinner.

I felt so giddy, sitting at a table with so many creative people. Caroline and her brother Austin joined us, then Sarah. Listening to Caroline and Levi fantasise about creating an alternative CFDA, or eavesdropping on Denise and Rachel talk about photography, or even just watching Kate and Lisa smooch and be sweet -the entire table, the entire night, felt magical.

I’m a sap.

I woke up on Saturday to church bells chiming, early. I'm sure it’s the first time I’ve ever heard them in my neigbourhood. The urge was to get up and DO something. Clean the house or run in the park or write a story -something. I had to remind myself to just stop. Stop. I’m always going, planning, doing. And as much as I believe action fosters action, and doing inspires making, sometimes I forget the value of idleness.

So I lay on my sofa, reminded myself that I have a home, and I should just LIVE in it -that sometimes, living is Just. Doing. Nothing.

-Camilla

1 comment:

ELLE CUE said...

What a fun night! Let's do it again, SOON?